Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Choosing the Longest Line


 

“I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits…” (Psalm 130:5)

“The Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore He will rise up to show you compassion… Blessed are all who wait for Him!” Isaiah 30:18

 A young boy went  grocery shopping with his mother. Seeing the two checkout lines ahead, he made a quick strategic call: “Look, Mom! Those customers are moving faster. Let’s get behind them.”

 Why was he in such a hurry? Was he late for a football game or television program? Was an important person waiting outside the store? I suspect that this boy had just fallen victim to the no-time-to-wait mentality so many of us adults have.

 Waiting is not one of my strengths (and I’m sure I’m not alone in this sentiment; most of us really dislike waiting). I identify with Carlo Coretti, who wrote, “This pursuit of impatience easily drifts into my spiritual life. Wait on God? Wait for God? I need an answer now! An even more dangerous thought process proclaims, ‘I need spiritual maturity now.’”

 Has the pursuit of impatience drifted into your spiritual life as well? How does one gain spiritual maturity in a fast-paced world?

 Decide to choose the longest line up at every chance. Pray while you wait in line so you can live by the pace of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment