Monday, September 10, 2012

THE GOLDEN RULE

One evening Mike was sitting at the fire side of a friend. Both of them were silently looking at the fire, indulging their own reflections. At last, the silence was broken by the friend, who said, “I will tell you what I have been thinking of, I‘ve been thinking of a rule delivered by the Author of the Christian religion which, from its excellence, we call the “Golden Rule.” Stop, said the monarch, “don’t praise it to me, but rather tell me what it is, and let me think for myself. I don’t wish you to tell me of its excellence, tell me what it is.”


The friend replied “It is for one man to do another as he would have the other do to him.”

That’s impossible! It cannot be done,” the monarch immediately exclaimed.

Silence again ensured. The monarch walked about the room. In about a quarter of an hour, he came to his friend with smiling countenance, and said, “Brother, I ‘ve been thoughtful of what you told me, If the great Spirit that made man would give him a new heart, he could do as you say, but none else. Thus the monarch acknowledge the one means by which man can fulfill the Golden Rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment